Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Mod Podge Bookshelf is One!

This has been a truly remarkable year.


A year ago today I went for it and posted my first review on a blog I had titled spur of the moment. Until the time came to actually name the site, I was planning to call it P.O.V. (Point of Voice). I have no namers remorse, The Mod Podge Bookshelf named itself quite aptly, the name reflects my bookshelves, my

 varied taste in literature, art, music and language. Mod Podge also describes my past year, thrown together in a series of moments that finally allowed me a place to belong, and a safe haven to call my own.


You see a year ago things were difficult, in fact things are still difficult, but I have found a constant amid the tempest, I've found a community and a home.

A year ago I started making friends who were just like me. I want to take a minute and list all of them, individually thank you all, from the bottom of my heart. It is the best and sincerest way I know how to do this. You have each given me a moment, or a series of them, that will mean more than you will ever know:

Andye, Amy, Abigaile, Kit & Austin from Reading Teen. Thank you for raising me up. 

James from Book Chic. Thank you for recognizing me from around the blogosphere only five months into this venture and for adding all those exclamation points after my name when you saw I was coming to New York. 

Enna Isilee from Squeaky Books. For being my tech/html/computers genius and never hesitating to include me in her list of allies. 

To Mundie Moms, who when they began following this blog in it's early stages made me choke back a sob of pure joy.

To Kristi, The Story Siren, who encouraged me the first time I had a bad blogging experience, and thought about shutting the site down. Thank you also, for adding my blog to your blog roll ten days after I went live.

To Shannon from Books Devoured, for sitting next to me at a book event when I had no one. To Michelle Ball, of Hooked To Books, who sat on my other side.

To Cindy and Kendra from Books Complete Me, not only did your blog help inspire MPB, you've each inspired me, to begin again, and to keep starting new chapters. 

To Yara, from Once Upon a Twilight, who uttered the immortal words that made my first BEA unforgettable, "What the bus?!"

To Jamie, who is a Perpetual Page-Turner and Broke and Bookish, for shouting excitedly, "Oh, my gosh! Gabrielle Carolina! Mod Podge Books!" at BEA and for being so kind as I gawked that anyone would recognize me at all.

To Chelsea Swiggett who patted the floor next to her in an unspoken, "Sit by me," while we waited in line for Leigh Fallon at BEA. That meant so much to me at the end of a solitary and exhausting day. 

To Kathy, from I Am A Reader, Not A Writer, for hosting all those giveaways that brought me many a faithful reader.

To Jeffrey from Novel Thoughts for being such a true gentleman. 

To Cindy from Princess Bookie, Angel from Reading Angel, Holly from Good Golly Miss Holly, Sab from YA Bliss, Amber from Page Turners, Miranda from Just Read (Books), Brittany from Reading Nook, Icey from Icey Books, thank you for being a friend. 

To Hira of Enamoured Soul and Mary of Anxirium, whose consistent, and persistent, tweeting about how lovely I am made me believe it again.

To Amy, who is both the Backseat Reader, and the Backseat Writer, I am blessed to have found you, and to be able to share with you all that I do. 

To Alex Ristea, of the Alex Ristea Daily, who took me dancing in Spain this summer while I was slaving away at my American desk. And for being such a pretentious twit about books and YA in general. I'll make a believer of you yet! 

To Janet Fox, for writing something that matters, and for sharing her love with me. Everyone deserves an e-mail from this woman on their worst days, I am so lucky to have received so many.

To Holly Schindler, who wrote me my first hand written authors letter telling me how much she valued the work I did to promote her amazing books. It was I who should have been thanking you, I'm glad I get the chance right now. 

To Wendy Delsol who signed my book, "To Gabrielle, a friend."

To Stephanie Dray for trusting me with her unfrosted cupcake, for that I gave you mine, and you added sprinkles. 

To Christy English who after a three tweet long pitch decided my manuscript would go to the top of her TBR list. You gave me the boost of confidence it took to gut the whole thing. You also gave me my first deadline.

To Deb Caletti, for an interview so candid, so poignant and so trusting that you made me feel I had accomplished my goal, to be the kind of blogger you hand over your life story to, because she knows what to do with it. Also for confirming my best, and worst, suspicions about love. 

To Beth Revis, who swaps tunes with me, and who told her mom I was coming to her signing, and to look for me. 

To Sarah Bennett Wealer, who called me an Ingenue, and has encouraged me both as a singer and as a writer.

To Amy Brecount White, I've been discovering cyber flowers in the most unexpected places because of you.

To Michelle Hodkin, who has agreed to be best friends.

To Jandy Nelson, Lauren Oliver, Maggie Stiefvater, Libba Bray, Tara Kelly, Julie Kagawa, Kim Culbertson, Cindy Pon, Suzanne YoungMelina Marchetta, Lisa Bergen, Shannon Hale, Suzanne Collins, Cynthia Voight, Sarah Dessen, and all of those above, who have made me want to tell my own stories, who make me want to create, who have made me a better writer just by bleeding on the pages of their own work. 

To the publishing companies who trusted me to meet deadlines, HarperTeen, Scholastic Books, Random House Children's, Simon and Shuster, Penguin Books, EgmontUSA, Bloomsbury, Candlewick, Flux Books, Harlequin Teen, Houghlin Mifflin Harcourt, Disney Hyperion, Little Brown Books & SourcebooksFire. To all the amazing publicists who work one hundred times harder than I do, I don't know how you all do it! You have paid me in the richest way possible for the "work" I do, in words that take me far away, and bring me home again. 

To my mum and dad, two of my first followers, who haven't stopped staring in wonder as I explain more and more about the fantastical new world I'm living in. 

And lastly, to my readers. I am humbled that you listen to me ramble, I'm pleased when you comment and say I'm pretty, or funny, or wise, or entertaining, and I am truly blessed to have you. 



To all of you who have taken me 365 days in, here's to the next 365. Cheers

23 comments:

jayjay said...

Happy Blogoversary!!! it has been a remarkable year for you! i'm truly happy for you <3 spread the love!

Andye said...

Ahhhh!!!! That was awesome!!! You are so welcome, and thank you for all that you do to help us as well!! I wish I could pay you. Happy blog bday, you have certainly made a presence, and the blogger world is better with you in it!

Love,
Andye

~Enamored Soul~ said...

Dear Gabrielle,

How right you were when you said I'd need tissues. I was teary LONG before you got to my part - just seeing/hearing your graciousness and magnanimity of heart was enough to fill me up with emotions. Thank you SO much for making this video/writing this speech. You ARE absolutely lovely...and I love you for it.

HAPPY 1ST BLOGOVERSARY Gabrielle & the Mod Podge Bookshelf! :D

Here's a little something for YOU! :)

http://ibetuthinkthisblogisaboutyou.blogspot.com/2011/07/happy-1st-blogoversary-mod-podge.html

Love,
~Hira~
Email: Enamoredsoul(at)gmail(dot)com
Twitter: @inluvwithbookz

Mundie Moms said...

Ahh! You are so welcome! CONGRATULATIONS one your blogs 1st birthday! What a beautiful post. You're amazing and I'm so glad I've gotten to know you through your blog. Here's to many more years!!

Lisa Tawn Bergren said...

Oh, sweet, unmet friend! Happy, happy blogoversary. I'm so glad that I could, in some small measure, inspire you. Blessings on your head!

BookChic said...

Happy 1st blogoversary!! You're too sweet for mentioning me, and this whole post is just wonderful. I hope you keep blogging for many years to come!

AMY Reale ~ ReadingTeen2 said...

Gabrielle, you are an amazing young woman. Smart, beautiful, sweet, funny and most of all you love Christ. You take a stand for what you believe in and that stands out. You're gonna go far in life.
Your post was really good and you are welcome :)

Once Upon a Twilight said...

Hey girl,

Happy Blog birthday and congrats on reaching this milestone. Thank you for including me in your vlog with so many other awesome bloggers.

xoxo

Yara

"What The Bus!"

DevouredShannon said...

Gabrielle~

You are such a sweet person. I am so glad to have met you at that book signing. I went by myself too! I was so excited to find out that I was sitting next to another blogger! I am even more glad now that I know what a great person you are. I am glad that I met you. I can not wait to see what you do for the next 365 days! ((HUGS))

S~

Sab H. said...

Happy 1!!!! :) I'm glad I helped in some small little way! You have a wonderful blog. Good luck in all the years to come ha! :P

mfay2 said...

Happy Blogoversary! Aww! Your blog was one if the first I found (don't know how! But I did!) You're super funny in your videos and I giggle in your IMMs. I hope for you the best and keep on rocking!

Amy (ArtsyBookishGal) said...

Wow, Gabrielle, thanks for the mention. I am excited to see what the next 365 bring, not only to The Mod Podge Bookshelf (which is a mighty fine name, by the way) but to your own life as you follow your dreams to music school. I have no doubt that one day we will not only read your reviews, but your book as well (which will, of course, accompany your best-selling album.)

Unknown said...

I feel very honored to be in such fine company as those other people thanked here. You're the one who deserves all the thanks, though. Look what you've done in a year. It's clear to me you're going places and can conquer the world. I stand in awe and admiration.

Angela @ Reading Angels said...

MUST you make me cry on vacation? My beautiful friend I am so blessed to have you on my blogging world and count you among my friends. I'm honored to ne mentioned in this heartwarming post! Thank you for making my day sweet girl!! Happy 1 year and I hope you have many successful more!

the story siren said...

oh my goodness... bring a girl to tears. Congrats on your one year.... hopefully there will be many more to come! so wish we could have hung out more at BEA... happy blogging dahling! you are AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful blog post. Happy One Year!

mfay2 said...

I have to comment again to add that that was one of the best "thank you" speeches I've EVER seen. Forget the celebrities thanking for an award at the ceremonies! One thing I admire from you is the way you speak.

You have made me tear up and not because my name is included, but because of the emotions that shine out of the video. Really. I'm amazed.

And I say my blog's name Anxi- rium (to answer your tweet) but I say it with a Spanish accent, so you can say it however you want! :)

Here's to another year! And congrats again!

Cindy Thomas said...

Oh man, Gabrielle, you've done it now. I'm totally tearing up over here! This is by far the best reward I've ever received as a blogger and I THANK YOU for being such an amazing young woman. You've inspired me in more ways than I can say. I loved meeting you in NYC and can't wait until the day we can hang out again.

You are a beautiful, smart, talented person and I wish you nothing but the best forever and ever.

And I will never, ever forget "What the bus!?"

*HUGS*

Cindy

melannie (: said...

That was really sweet!
Happy Blogoversary! *throws confetti*

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

What a wonderful post :) Congratulations on your blogoversary and here's to many more!

Megan said...

Happy Blogoversary! :)

Allie_ said...

I love your blog !!!happy blogoversary !!!!!

E.J. Stevens said...

Happy Blogoversary! :)
xx,
E.J.
Paranormal Author E.J. Stevens
From the Shadows